Friday, August 27, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert


With the recent release of the movie "Eat, Pray, Love," based on the book of the same name, I felt the need to revisit the 2006 bestseller by Elizabeth Gilbert to see if I had a different opinion a second time around. Sadly, I did not. If anything I found the book more irritating this time around.

I really love the idea of this book - solitary woman picks herself up after a difficult divorce, travels the world over to find herself, and, whoops, falls in love along the way - what's not to like? Well, for one thing, I was hoping for more of a travelogue - how the places and people she visits transform her life and vice versa. Instead it was more of, "look at me in Italy, in India, in Bali." The author seems unable, or unwilling, to look outside of her own narrow view of things long enough to grasp that there are people around her with far greater problems than hers.

Gilbert's journey also lacks credibility, as she is paid a healthy advance to write the story of her travels before she even embarks. Maybe I am a little jealous, but the fact that she's getting paid for all of this self-discovery prior to it even happening sort of sullies the integrity of her story.

I mostly dislike the book because it seems like such a wasted opportunity - Gilbert had a chance to be a heroine and an inspiration to not only women everywhere but anyone who has hit a point in their life where they do not know what direction to go. Rather than using this time to grow as a person and enrich her life and the lives of those around her, she instead chooses to focus more and more on herself and how those around her might assist her in achieving even greater levels of self-involvement.

Overall, despite my negative experience with this particular book, I would still recommend people give it a try - readers I have spoken with have either loved it or hated it, you might be the one who loves it.


No comments:

Post a Comment