Friday, September 3, 2010

He's a Tall, Cool One


I admit, I am a little biased when it comes to Anthony Bourdain - I love his "No Reservations" television show and have read all of his nonfiction. I find him to be incredibly intelligent, surprisingly insightful and deliriously funny in his writing.

His latest, Medium Raw, picks up where Kitchen Confidential left off - except with an older, wiser and maybe slightly-less confrontational author. Bourdain has definitely matured through the years and this is evident especially when comparing these two books together. His chapter that he dedicates to his daughter is so surprisingly sweet yet still incredibly funny. The initial chapter, in which he so lovingly and carefully describes a secret feast featuring an illegal dish is quite unforgettable .

As someone who is NOT a foodie - I do not watch the Food Network, nor do I care about celebrity chefs in general - it surprised me that I find such appeal in Bourdain's work. Anyone who appreciates good writing, interesting characters and does not mind consistently salty language might find a new author to follow in Anthony Bourdain.

No comments:

Post a Comment